The most ordered dish at Rao’s (even more than the meatballs) is the pollo al limone (lemon chicken). Here I will show you how to cook this delicious meal, using the original recipe.
The original recipe is available here: http://www.marthastewart.com/portal/site/mslo/menuitem.fc77a0dbc44dd1611e3bf410b5900aa0/?vgnextoid=7cb94618da509110VgnVCM1000003d370a0aRCRD&vgnextfmt=default
Ingredients required: (for two chickens)
2- 2.5-3 pound broiler chickens, halved
1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
2 cups fresh lemon juice (available in plastic bottles, make sure it is not from concentrate)
1 cup olive oil
1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
1 1/2 teaspoons minced garlic
1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
Salt and Pepper
I only used this recipe for one chicken, so half ingredients are shown below
1. Assemble ingredients
2. Place halved chickens on broiler safe-pan
3. Remove chickens from broiler
4. Slice each chicken portion into 4 pieces: 2 breast, thigh, wing. The chicken may not be done at this point and may still have red/pink portions
5. Fill measuring cup with 1 cup of lemon juice
6. Fill measuring cup with 1/2 cup of olive oil
7. Add 1/2 tablespoon of red wine vinegar
8. Add nearly 1 teaspoon minced garlic, 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano and a dash of salt and pepper. Whisk and refrigerate.
9. Pour 1/2 of sauce over chicken, place back into broiler for a few minutes
10. Heat remaining sauce in saucepan. Stir in parsley
11. Remove chicken from broiler, remove from pan using fork onto a large plate.
12. Pour heated sauce over chicken.
13. Serve with plenty of crusty bread to absorb the juices.
14. Eat and Enjoy!